Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Rum and Coke Reprise

Sitting in the Esplanada hotel. Realizing that it could be one of my favorite places on earth.  There is a constant sea breeze, good food, a stream of interesting people and often live music.

Long time readers may remember my fawning over this place a year ago, but my trials at getting a rum and coke.  If you don't you can read about it here.

This year I was in the same mood. There was a band playing some great cover tunes.  I thought I'd try again.  Maybe to see if they'd remembered anything.  I called the staff over and asked for a rum and coke.

“What kind of rum would you like, Bacardi or Bundaberg?”

Hmmm. This was promising! The place may be stepping up! I chose the latter.

I was sitting with a view behind the bar, so I could see what happened. I watched her go and pour a shot of rum and pull a can of coke out of the fridge and put them both on a tray.  She told the other bartender to ring up what she was making. The other woman snapped something like, “serve it with ice!”, because the first bartender went and got a glass of ice. And put it on the tray.  

Then the second bartender barked, “serve them together!”  The first bartender got a third glass and dumped them all together and brought it to me.  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment